Thursday 13 August 2009

Booker Promotion - Well done him!


Graham Fudger, a book lover, has used his time on Trafalgar Square's fourth plinth to celebrate the longlist for the 2009 Man Booker Prize for Fiction.
Mr Fudger, is one of the 2,400 people chosen to participate in Anthony Gormley's One & Other Project which allows them to stand on the fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square, London for one hour.


Mr Fudger said his favourite of the longlisted books was James Lever's Me Cheeta - the purported autobiography of the chimpanzee Cheeta, who gained Hollywood stardom in the Tarzan movies.
Other books on the long-list include The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters, Brooklyn by Colm Tobin, Summertime by JM Coetzee and The Children's Book by AS Byatt.

Apparently, Mr Fudger decided how to spend his hour on the plinth after meeting three of the Booker judges. Good for him, I say. Any way to promote books is good in my opinion. I just wish that I had the idea!

The shortlist for the 2009 Man Booker Prize for Fiction will be announced on 8 September.
The winner of the £50,000 prize will be announced on Tuesday 6 October at London's Guildhall.

4 comments:

Ann Weisgarber said...

David, are you placing bets on the shortlist? Any thoughts about William Trevor's Love and Summer? I haven't read it yet, but I typically love his work.

David Headley said...

My ideal winner would be Brooklyn because it is just simple and beautiful writing. I have to say I never guess the winner!

dougdrew said...

I'm still in mourning over "Red Dog, Red Dog" and "Through Black Spruce" not making the longlist. Two of the best novels I've read in a very long time...

Rollo said...

I have read both The William Trevor and the Toibin, and I liked them both very much.

It’s too obvious to comment on their similarities (and there are many - mainly by Toibin 'migrating' (sure coincidentally) to the established Trevor style. But I don’t think either of them was (as has proved from this years panel anyway) outstanding enough to get on Booker shortlist. Very good but nothing exceptional (I think they have both written better novels before (which also didn’t win).

My own favourite (though not suggested as a bet - Booker far too unpredictable - and it’s their favourite not mine after all) is the Byatt - meticulously written and about a very interesting period too.

Hope it’s not the much favoured Wolf Hall - hasn’t the whole world had tooooo much Tudor's - this year alone?

For collectors, we’ll all be a bit put out if it’s the Mawer – not at all impossible – with 1st editions being as rare as Hens teeth (or for the more agricultural – Rocking Horse ****) – though I’m sure Goldsboro have a secret stash!